- Conduct basic, applied and adaptive research on crop improvement and resource management for increasing and stabilizing rice productivity in all ecologies with special emphasis on rainfed ecosystems and related abiotic stresses.
- Generation of appropriate technology through applied research for sustainable increase in productivity and income from rice and rice-based cropping/farming systems in all the ecosystems in view of decline in per capita availability of land.
- Collection, evaluation, conservation and exchange of rice germplasm and distribution of improved plant materials to different national and regional research centres.
- Development of technology for integrated pest disease and nutrient management for various farming situations.
- Characterization of rice environment in the country; evaluation of physical, biological, social-economic and institutional constraints to rice production under different agro-ecological conditions & in farmer situations and develop remedial measures for their amelioration.
- Maintain database on rice ecology, ecosystems, farming situations and comprehensive rice statistics for the country as a whole in relation to their potential productivity and profitability.
- Impart training to rice research workers, trainers and subject matter/extension specialists on improved rice production and rice-based cropping and farming systems.
- Collect and maintain information on all aspects of rice and rice-based cropping and farming systems in the country.